Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Faces of America

 The movie faces of america was a touching account of famous people we know finding out about their ancestors. Many of them knew vague facts about their families but not much more. It made an obvious impact on their lives to see who and what made them who they are and to see how close they came to not being here at all. The actions of their relatives are very carefully woven together to make them the way they are.
In my mostly Italian family on holidays we sit and just talk about how life was like for my family back in in the rural mountains of Italy. One of my family members watched his mother step on a land mine and die when he was very young. He had to support himself and his sister from that day on. My grandmother was born right after her father sent for her mother and siblings to come to america. My great-great grandmother was a full blooded Cherokee indian. My step  grandfather is related to Andrew Jackson by marriage. I am supposedly Spanish and German royalty. All of these things have made me who am now.
I think that the most a person could gain from watching these movies is  the ambition to know about themselves and to become more connected with the cultures that their family possesses.



"Be true to who you are and the family name you bear"  -Gordon B. Hinckley

No comments:

Post a Comment